Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Some good catch.

At some point I can say I´ve reached some peace of mind. Yes, I´m bored out of my brain with my dead end job, but lucky for me that is gonna be over soon. The good news is that I was finally able to find two books I´ve been looking for a long time now. One of them is called MOVING PICTURES and it’s a graphic novel made by Stuart and Kathryn Immonen. It was published by Top Shelf in 2007 and when I heard of it I was already in Carmelo (a.k.a no-comics-for-you-town). I spent a lot of time and effort trying to find this online, but let´s be honest: If I don´t have a credit card how am I supposed to buy it form amazon?? Here´s where the piracy comes in handy, just that it seemed that no one had scanned it, so it took me a couple years to finally find it. And now I got it…SUCCESS!!!
The second piece that piracy has granted me is the long out of print and very hard to find Bram Stoker´s Dracula, the movie adaptation made by Mignola when the Coppola movie was released. I looked for it all over the place, here, there and everywhere, even people I used to work with at midtown comics had never heard of it. I remember one time, many years ago, I had it as a hard cover book in my hands and decided not to buy it (what a douche). Ever since that day I´ve been looking for it. I perused the web searching for the scans without any results, until last night. There they were, the four issues, waiting for me to download them AND IN ENGLISH!!! The blessing, the relief, what a tremendous catch for one night. This is what I mean when I defend piracy, there is some stuff that for any given reason is impossible to get or too complicated, or too damn expensive, thank god for the scanners that compile all these marvelous things for people like me. How else am I supposed to get a copy of Wertham´s Seduction of the innocent? Scanned my friend…scanned.
P.S: When the scanners don´t deliver I have my brother Ronnie to take of me. He got me two books I was crazy for as birthday presents, Icons: the Jim Lee art for DC comics and wildstorm and the all pencils version of Batman HUSH. Amazing stuff from my amazing brother. Good times ^_^

No comments: